Re: Why do I always get warning pop-up after adding a shape?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 09:46:56PM +0100, Hans Breuer wrote:
At 11.01.2011 19:23, Chris G wrote:
After I export a diagram as a .shape file and then add it into one of
my collections of shapes (using the Sheets and Objects window) then
whenever I open dia I get an warning pop-up box saying:-

    Several object-types were named diagrams - xw.
    Only first one will be used.
    Some things might not work as expected.

(of course the xw changes according to what I have called the shape)

Am I doing something wrong when I export the shape or is there something
wrong with dia's handling of shape export?

Probably the former, i.e. if you export your shape file to Dia's
standard shape search path and again "import" it to Dia via Shapes
and Object dialog you'll end up with two version leading to the
above message.

I'll check things out, maybe I should store the .shape file in /tmp when
I export it and then bring it in from there.

While I'm at it I have yet to be able to export a shape that actually
works as intended, the .png file doesn't show the shape properly and the
shape often seems to lose its colour properties and so on.  It all seems
a bit flakey.

Sounds like you are expecting too much.

1) with any non trivial shape it is usually necessary to edit the
created PNG to make it detectable with 22x22 pixels.

OK, that's not incredibly important as it's only what shows in the shape
selection window isn't it.

2) you are expected to edit the generated shape file for best results.
E.g. if by "losing it's color properties" you mean losing the
ability to modify the shape colors in the diagram you should adapt
the concrete colors in the shape file with symbolic names, see:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/dia/tree/doc/custom-shapes#n143

Well what happens with my simple "two lines and an arc" shape is that
it often is totally invisible when I try and use it so it's either
transparent or white even though the diagram I stored as a shape was
three black lines.  The .png file shows up as a white line too.

I'll go and try all this out, thank you!

--
Chris Green