Adding new shapes

I am a school physics teacher and want to be able to draw circuit diagrams with all the symbols drawn to a standardised scale.
I am trying to create new circuit diagram symbols to add to the circuit sheet. I draw a symbol in Dia, making it 32mm long and setting the line thickness to be 0.5mm. I export it  as a .shape file, then use the Sheets and Objects menu to add the shape to the circuits sheet. When I then use the circuits sheet to draw the symbol on the canvas, it comes out a different size (8cm long) and with a different line thickness (2mm).
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way of stopping the size and line thickness from changing?

Graham Nilsen