Re: Patch for a new feature : sozi

At 27.08.2011 01:12, Paul Chavent wrote:
Hi

Here is a new version of the sozi patch. It's almost done, and you can
try it (http://paul.chavent.free.fr/sozi.html)

On 08/06/2011 05:02 PM, Hans Breuer wrote:
[...]
This is certainly an interesting concept. The names sound a bit
strange, though, see: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sozi ;)

I don't understand German... what does it mean ?

It's the short from of social democrat.

[...]
The Sozi-Frame would be the first object actually modifying it's
output dependent on the renderer. In prinziple I find this a bit
suspicious conceptually, but maybe a dedicated export filter would
indeed be less appropriate. Need to think about it.

Yes it's a bit annoying.
But before spreading the sozi code everywhere in the dia source tree, i
preferred to make all in one place for the patch submission.
I will be able to change this if the patch is merged in the main source
tree.

Maybe it even should stay the way it is - adding another svg export option does not look as such a good solution as well.

It depends on the usability and maintainability. I'm a bit uncertain
if Dia's own support for transformations isn't a bit too weak to make
something really pretty.
Although my playing with your initial version and render-test.dia
already looks promising (although lacking rotations ;-))

This new version allow rotations and the framing is bugless this time.

Cool.

To be acceptable it has to compile with more than just gcc. These are the
two things which made trying out your patch a bit long-winded for me.

sozi-script.h(45) : error C2026: string too big, trailing characters
truncated

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dddywwsc%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

But even if the compiler would have accepted it, IMO 16K of JavaScript
on a single line is just not maintainable. Maybe the script should just
stay an external file and be merged during serialization?

Yes, i have some discussion with sozi maintainers for better sozi player
code distribution.
So, this is a temporary solution.

It does not work as a temporary solution for inclusion with the Dia tree, because we will not temporarily give up compilation with msvc. The work-around is described in the link given above.

[... a lot of things ..]
Done.

Thanks for the update.

For usability you should probably render some of the info of the
Sozi-Frame, e.g. sequence number and frame timeout would be handy.

Yes, it's a lot more user-friendly.
Note : i join a little patch for allowing edition of text properties.

Sorry, I fail to see the connection. What I meant was drawing the sequence number at some good spot in the interactive case.

And maybe the frame rendering should be restricted to interactive
renderers?

Quickly done. But it can still be improved.

The easy way would be (renderer->is_interactive) ...

Thanks for the patch, I'm looking forward to the next version ;-)

I await the mailing list feedback :)

Me too :)
        Hans