Landscape Printing

I just started using Dia for some wiring diagrams.  I have been very satisfied with the software.  I am having trouble printing landscape.  I read the FAQ and set both the Printer Setup and the printer preferences to landscape, but all I get is a portrait view with the drawing stretched down.  What am I doing wrong?  I only down loaded Dia 0.97.1.  Is there any companion software I am missing?  How can I print a pdf?

Thanks for any help,

John Bohart