Re: Adding line automatically sets to centre?!?

It is a personal judgement.  The center is a good place to start a line for many objects, but not so good for ending.  That said. I turn off object snap most of the time.

There is a little icon you can pick anytime to toggle object snap (my Dia shows it in the toolbar).  In one state it is a blue outline square with connection points, in the ON state it is a blue square highlighted in red with a green grip shown in the center.