Adding line automatically sets to centre?!?

Hello,

I'm trying to annotate a picture with Dia, by placing description boxes connected to arrows pointing to certain points on picture.  However the arrows keep snapping to the centre of the workspace, how can I avoid this happening?

I've looked through all the preferences panes but couldn't seem to find anything to alter this behaviour.  An idea I had was to place a box beneath the image, then snap the lines to it that way.  Seems like a very odd behaviour when looking at what OmniGraffle, and Visio do.

Please help!

Gareth