Re: dia shows ugly bitmap font

Michael Ross åé:
But you can set the unit of measure for the fonts in the Preferences
User Interface.  Dia provides a lot of choices including picas,
points, inches, and millimeters.   I have not tried to print out a
particular font and measure it for accuracy , but it looks OK.  12
point seems close to 12 point.
It is not my case. I am using Dia 0.97 on Ubuntu Linux 9.10, 24 point
font looks like 12 point, when zoom is 100%. I can send a screenshot on
request. There is another funny thing, if I export the graph to svg, it
looks in the browser as if it is zoomed to 200%: every thing bigger. So
if the svg export and browser are reliable, the zoom level of 100%
actually mean zoom to 200%, and I should always work on 50% zoom if I
intend to get svg output same big as I draw the graphs.

However, if you alter the Page Setup/Scale to be other than 100% the
font size is altered.  A Page Setup Scale of 50% shrinks the image
(not the paper) to 1/2 original size and therefore the font is half as
large as well with respect to the paper.  You can set the length unit
to inches and the font size to something other than inches, this could
be part of the problem.
It doesn't work for me. In preference I set measurement unit of font and
length both to points, and this change have no effect on the ruler (the
ruler is on the left and up part of the viewport). Besides, ordinary
text and UML chart seems to be using different font size unit. After
experiment, the UML chart at font size 1.0 looks same big as text object
at font size "27 pt". This actually hint me the measurement unit in UML
chart is cm, because 27pt is close to 1 cm (27/72*2.54=0.95 cm). I can
also send screenshot of this on request.

I can't explain the ugly font.
Yet the ugly font issue is not solved. I tried to set font of a text
object to Fixed at 10pt, thinking that no matter zoom is correct (100%
means 100%) or not (100% means 200%), the font at given size is
available without scaling, because Fixed have bitmap for both 10pt and
20pt (told by xfontsel). Then I apply the property, the text object
change to junk text the same way as in my first screenshot.