Re: dia shows ugly bitmap font

I can't explain the ugly font.

But you can set the unit of measure for the fonts in the Preferences User Interface.  Dia provides a lot of choices including picas, points, inches, and millimeters.   I have not tried to print out a particular font and measure it for accuracy , but it looks OK.  12 point seems close to 12 point.

However, if you alter the Page Setup/Scale to be other than 100% the font size is altered.  A Page Setup Scale of 50% shrinks the image (not the paper) to 1/2 original size and therefore the font is half as large as well with respect to the paper.  You can set the length unit to inches and the font size to something other than inches, this could be part of the problem.

Another hint, the area outlined when the page breaks are visible is the printable area not the page of paper itself.  If you have letter size paper, and set the margin to be 1 in all around, then the printable area shown will be 9 in x 6.5 in.  If you show a grid that is x = 0.254 cm and y = 0.254 cm you can measure the printable area in inches.

To the developers - I am really pleased how consistent all this is today, a couple releases ago it was much harder to figure out the font size, scale, zoom, grid size and so on.  Thanks for the hard work.

--
                   Michael E. Ross
     NC Solar Center Test Laboratory

NC Solar Center : www.ncsc.ncsu.edu
Professional Directory : www.greenprofessionals.org

"The information in this email is provided by the NC Solar Center at NCSU as a public service. The Solar Center strives to provide accurate information, but does not warrant or represent the accuracy, usefulness or reliability of this information. For specific advice, we always recommend that you consult with a professional in the appropriate profession for your needs." Email correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Record Law NCGS, Ch 132 and may be disclosed to third parties