Importing Images: Not remembering just-used path-to-files

I am a new user: 0.97+Git on Ubuntu Linux 8.0.4 (Hardy).

I am trying to replace use of an _ancient_ Visio, so I am stuck in Visio-think that will take some time to get out of.

When I use the Tools, Image to import an image, Dia is not remembering the just-used path-to-file.

If I start Dia in a directory that contains the images, then that is where the image import dialog opens -- which is nice.

But, I would like the dialog to remember the path which I navigated and open wherever that is next time. Whether this memory should survive program restart is debatable, but I would prefer that it does.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?  Am I missing something?