Importing Images: Default "incorrect" scaling of images

I am a new user: 0.98+Git on Ubuntu Linux 8.0.4 (Hardy).

(In my last post I say I was on 97, but I am on 98, just installed today. However, the version information both in the 'About' and by "dia --version" is showing 97 ????)

I think I am misunderstanding Dia's concept of importing images or missing some important feature???

I have a library of existing 300 dpi TIFF images which I wish to use in my diagrams. The primary output target is high resolution printing, thus the 300 dpi is preferable and they already exist in this form.

When I import an image, it is coming in tiny!! When I print the page from Dia, the imported image is about 20 mm wide. When I print that _same_ image from an image program such as Gimp, it prints 151 mm wide.

I understand I can drag it to whatever size I want, but I don't want to do that. I would like to have the image come in to the page at 100% "native resolution".

In the object properties, I see that I can keep/constrain (or not) the aspect ratio (when dragging larger). That's great.

However, I don't see anything in the Properties (including double clicking on the image item in the tool box) or Preferences about import scaling.

I understand that import scaling is complicated because it gets into the issue of what the ppi is of the imported image vs the page width however that is measured. However, I don't see any controls available (other than dragging) for controlling and manipulating scaling, either upon import or after. For example, it would be really nice to be able to numerically define the target width and/or height (depending if 'keep aspect ratio' is on or off) both numerically (by a variety of measurement methods (inches, cm, mm, etc.)) OR by percentage of original native size.

===

I know that this is really for a different thread, but related to this issue because it relates to being able to see how large the images are. I can't make any sense of the rulers vs the display window size vs the display percentage. I have changed the Preferences, Length Unit to various settings and I can't see a difference in the rulers, either dynamically, or when I create a new document, or when I close the program and then re-open and create a new document. From the program itself, I can't tell what measurement system the rulers are using. I apparently am clueless about how the rulers are supposed to be used.

And, the "Help, Help" menu item says "Could not open help directory:
Error opening directory '/usr/share/dia/help': No such file or directory" so I can't look there for info. I eventually found
http://dia-installer.de/doc/en/index.html but with no help from the program.

Looking at
http://dia-installer.de/doc/en/canvas-chapter.html#Rulers
says the rulers are in centimeters and measure the size of the "canvas". However, I have not found a definition of "canvas" -- is that the size of the paper (within the blue lines), or the size of the paper less the margins? Or something else?

I have the page size set to American Letter (8.5 x 11 inches) which is about 215 x 279 mm. On screen, the proportions look right. But, the ruler says that it is about 16.2 cm (162 mm) wide by about 22.8 cm (228 mm) high. Those measurements are vastly different than anything I can come up with for American Letter.

What am I not understanding?