Generating a Dia File

Hello Dia Mailing List,

I'm interested in drawing DAGs which are generated in the course of some other work I'm doing. I wanted to ask the experts if they think this is feasible in Dia. I'm specifically wondering how difficult you might think it would be to write an external program that would generate reasonable Dia XML files.

I'm also curious if there are any limitations of Dia you think would be relevant. The larger graphs we generate might very well have dozens of edges on a single node. Are there limitations on how many objects can be present in a single diagram?

Are there any sections of the source that might aid me in doing this? Would it be difficult to re purpose the code for saving a diagram to accept a different source of input?

Thanks,
David