Invoking Dia from Emacs

Hi,

I'm using Dia 0.96 that came on Debian Lenny. I'm trying to embed bookmarks(aka a link) into an Emacs document such that I can easily pull up diagrams in Dia. The problem is I get an new instance of Dia everytime I fire off a bookmark(link). I noticed that I could drag and drop a file from file manager to Dia and that'd work ok(no new Dia running). My question then is does someone know if there is a shell command etc that in essence would mimic drag & dropping a file to Dia?

thanks