Re: Automatic diagram layout

2009/5/15 Lars Ræder Clausen <lars raeder dk>:
On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 09:30 -0300, Adriano Bonat wrote:
Hi guys,

I used, with success, "Postgresql autodoc" to reverse engineer my
database, but it generates a Dia diagram without a layout, and having
about ~60 tables with several associations would take a lot of my time
to organize it, and also, wouldn't be the best layout.

So I was wondering if there isn't already a way to do this layout
organization. I tried to figure out to maybe try to design the same
diagram using graphviz and then try to map its calculated coordinates
to the Dia diagram, but no luck.

There has been some effort at making graphviz output dia files, and I
seem to remember it working, though it's been a while.

graphviz has an option to output dia xml documented somewhere (in a
locked toilet cubicle with a sign saying 'beware of the leopard' on
the door) that I can never find.

 Also checkout Autodia, which is the most advanced autogenerator for Dia.

:)

now available from a CPAN mirror near you.

I will challenge your claim that a hand-crafted layout would not be the
best layout, though.  An automatic layouter should never be used for
more than a rough draft, as it has no understanding of what belongs
where.

Yup - I tend to prune and re-organise anything more than a dozen nodes.

The best it can hope for is to make connected things be close together,
but that's not necessarily meaningful.

Quite.

A.

--