Re: Dia

David,

You have given almost no information that would help someone determine your problem.  I will start assuming things in order to give you an answer. I can't imagine that it will be the correct answer, but perhaps it will spur you on to try other things yourself or provide more information.

In Windows (you did not mention what operating system or version of Dia you are using)  when you click on a file to open it from the desktop there is an extension to the files that tells Windows what program to associate with the file.  Windows looks at the extension and starts the program directing it to work on the selected file.  Typically the extension is .xxx, a period andf 3 letters or numerals.  Like .exe, .mp3, .jpg which are for executable files, mp3 encoded and comperssed music data, or a compressed image file, respectively.  There are thousands of extensions. .exe tells Windows that a file can be run directly, .mp3 uses the default music playing program, and .jpg would be run with the defult image processing program.

You may have the exposition of these extensions turned off (a Windows setting) in which case you never see these important parts of the file names.  You can investigate how to show the extensions yourself.  You can manually direct Windows to start the file (right-click, open, browse for the file) or you can start Dia first and use the File Open to find the file and run it. In the Dia Open File dialog box, there is a little box in the lower right that says All Files.  By picking on it you can choose Supported Formats.  This tells Dia to filter the list of files to only show you files that have a Dia useful extension (there are many but .dia is the main one).

I was able to get the fille fence plans~ to open in Dia but it was empty.  The file size of 4KB indicates youe didn't really save any work.

I doubt if this is a problem with Dia, more a problem with understanding your computer and its general use.  I can't really help you much with that.

Just keep messing around and you will get it straight.  Have faith that the progem is working  - it a pretty dependable program.  It is hard to hurt your computer, so don't be afraid to fumble around trying things.

When ever asking for help on a computer problem, always tell what operating system you use and its version (Windows XP, Vista Home, Linux, Ubuntu, and so on)  and tell which version of Dia you have. v97 is current, but you might have an older one.  Attaching the files was a great idea always do that too

Mike

--
                   Michael E. Ross
ArcAngle Design & Analysis | MX Automation

             217 Valley Creek Drive
               Clayton, NC 27520

                  (919) 585-5118
                  (434) 326-5462