Re: geda-gschem (was: Circuit Diagrams)

On 2009-01-31 10:18, Michael Ross wrote:
I don't understand your comment.  What do you mean by not having access to
the source code?  What is this risk?  This is not a rhetorical question.  I
do not understand your complaint.

With free software, such as dia, geda, kicad you not only get
the binary program, but also the programs source code. If you
have problems with the program (a bug or crucial missing
feature) you can either try to fix the problem yourself or you
could ask (maybe pay) someone to do it for you. E.g. the dia
mailing list is almost always a very helpful community, where
you get direct contact to the actual developers.

With closed source, proprietary software, such as ORCAD, you are
in the hands of the software supplier. If you have a problem
with the program, they will help you â maybe, maybe not. You
cannot fix the bugs yourself nor ask someone to do it for you.
You don't have the source code and changing the program would
probably violate the license anyway. I just would not build my
business on that concept.

Another aspect is the operating system: You can run dia on Linux,
MacOS, and Windows. For gEDA and kicad I'm not sure, maybe they
are Linux-only, but because you have the source code, one can
just port the Software to another operating system. This is not
possible with closed source, proprietary software. This takes a
business decision, like changing the IT infra-structure of your
company, out of your hands into the hands of other companies. I
would not do this in my business.

Still, for many people ORCAD might be the right choice, so I
absolutely don't complain, that you mentioned it. I just wanted
to point out free alternatives, and why I would prefer them.

Cheers!