connection point at the end of a line

Dear Dia-users,

I am quite astonished, that neither the starting nor the end point of a
line is a connection point. If I connect a line to a connection point of
a shape, everything is fine (the connection between the two elements
remains active). But I didn't mange to connect a line to the start or
endpoint of a line (I mean connection-> If I move one of the two lines
the connected point sticks to the other one).

At the Moment I am using dia version
Dia-Version 0.96.1, compiled 16:53:22 Jan 25 2008 out of the Ubuntu 7.10
and 8.04 (other system) repositories.

I would appreciate a hint or a workaround for this problem. (I am
working on a power plant retrofit and the resulting diagram will need a
lot of editing and moving).

Thank you

waldbauernbub