Re: Zoom Patch

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:00:34 -0600, Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com> wrote:

Sameer,

That is interesting information below.  It is how Google Maps zooms and I
always wonder why the heck they do it that way.  I have been using CAD
programs since scroll wheels appeared and they all map the zoom in reverse of this. Frankly, I think the CAD mapping is more psychologically ergonomic
- When you roll the wheel towards yourself you are "pulling the image
closer" and the roll up motion is "flicking the image away." I haven't been able to train my mind to another analogous way of thinking for Google Maps.
I haven't come up with an analogous way of thinking that seems better.  I
have tried to think of rolling up as diving into the screen, but after more
than ten years of mouse controlled zooming I have it ingrained that I am
stationary and I am manipulating the world inside the monitor.

I would like to offer that just because Gnome says do it this way that it
should not be locked down to that function.  I would very much prefer a
buggy version in this respect.

An option to reverse the zooming effect whether you are using scroll wheel or plain mouse movements could be added so users can configure this to their liking.
--
phil