Re: Import to Access

Hi Alex,

thanks a lot for the information, I'll try that. Honestly, I've to say I did not expect it to be possible.

It would be great if you could also post your example, for sure it would be of great help!

Thanks again,
Chris

Alex Mandel wrote:
Christian Thanner wrote:
Hi there,

I would like to know if it at all possible to design a data model in dia and import it to MS Access or to Open Office Base, and if it is, maybe some hints how to do so.

greetings,
Chris

Yes, I've done it.

I can post an example tomorrow,but here's the general idea.
Make a UML diagram, each table is a class.
Each field in a table is an attribute of the class.

You have to code it for the end database you want, so if you want a text field for access you have to give the field as
Name: SomeName
Type: TEXT and add any constraints following it using what Access SQL wants.
Comments are ignored

Then run dia2code on the dia file to get and SQL file.

Copy and paste the SQL removing end of line and --attributes-- or write yourself a script to call DAO and run the SQL. (I've been hoping to get to this part soon, last part that isn't automated.)

Now you have an Access database.

Alex