Re: a standard for diagram document format

2008/6/13 Sameer Sahasrabuddhe <sameerds gmail com>:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:

>> But what dia really needs is to leave the old multiwindows (gimp like)
>> interface which makes it really ugly and nonstandard and make the main
>> widget embeddable for other tools like Abiword, OOo, IDEs, Visual
>> programming languages, electronic circuits, etc.
>
> A single-window interface is part of the next release. As for making it
> embeddable, is there any up-to-date way to do that in Gnome?

What? Seriously, a single-window interface? No, please. The
multi-window way is really convenient ... you can think of each window
as a different "plate" or "easel" and the main object palette as just
that ... a palette. Changing diagrams is just simply "alt-tab" handled
by the window manager, instead of some internal Dia shortcut!

Will there at least be a choice to stick with the old interface? And
why the change anyway? Gimp seems to be going places with multiple
windows ... why not Dia too!

Sameer.

I hate spamming of windows. If you have 3 diagrams opened, then you have 4 windows and you have to see to what window are you changing to. That is anoying. Also every time that dia opens i have to reacomodate the windows since positions seems to not be saved. AND i have to use a complete desktop just to work with dia, another for openoffice, firefox and nautilus, and maybe another if i need gimp. That is too much switching of desktops.

With a tabbed dia you should be able to swith with ctrl+tab, like in any other tabbed program like browsers, or open one día per file, and switch with normal alt+tab, but palette will be always in the same place.

Also some small devices doesnt really uses windows, they are all the time maximiced, and in those devices clicking in the palette would be very very hard.

> As for making it embeddable, is there any up-to-date way to do that in Gnome?

I didnt know that sockets where deprecated. Dont know, but what i was meanning is a gtkdiagram widget on a libgtkdia.

A View widget for drawing the contents of a Model in the same aproach as GtkTreeView and Tree/List Model. DiaModel and DiaView. Then applications just use this lib.

Is there any page to see what new cool stuff are you working out for Dia1.0?

Cheers
Diego