Selecting between layers

Hi all, I was wondering if there is a way to select between layers? I have various parts of a diagram (comments, notations etc) saved in different layers so they are easy to visualize/remove and so forth. However sometimes I would like to move an entire section (comments and all) to a different part of the diagram. If I copy everything to a single layer to do this, it defeats the work I've done in putting everything in layers to begin with. I am using 0.96.1 on a mac (via macports)

The revision history alludes to "selecting between layers" added in 0.94 but I can't find that feature.

Any help would be appreciated ..

-regards,
-avi