Re: a standard for diagram document format

I don't think Dia exists to end the dominance of Visio.

I think Dia exists for people who have the interest in working on an open source diagramming tool to do so.  It gives them the ability to make a diagramming tool that works the way they want it to.  Visio provides no effective mechanism for an individual to steer its development.  Open source does.  This why there are often several open source programs that do the same vaguely related tasks.  For example, GIMP, Inkscape, Dia and so on.  If all one wants is free software, then one must accept what the worker bees have done or join in.

I think as a general rule open source programs serve and satisfy the people that work on them.  It is only the new users who do not work on them that are dissatisfied.  As a matter of fact enhancing the usability of programs turns out to be a fine way to make them less efficient for experienced power users (not a comment specific to open source programs).

Someone posted a link to a very nice article on just this topic in years past (usability, open source, etc.).  If anyone remembers that link I would love to have it again.

Mike