Re: Differentiating between Connectors and Objects

2008/7/11 Hans Breuer <hans breuer org>:

I don't think this is the right thing to do for an expandable type system,
i.e. I will not accept which moves knowledge about every object type name in
existance into the core.

Which is why I thought that if it is really important, then it should
be in the vtable. Maybe not as "is_connector(obj)" but possibly as
'get_role(obj, "connector")' since that makes it extensible. But I am
just thinking aloud here ... I have not given any serious thought to
this.

As tried to outline before not type is the key here but interface,
respectively existance of properties.

So for shared property definitions the proposed solution is fine, for object
types it is not.

Ah, it seems I am out of my depth here. I am not really sure what
everyone is talking about, and I like it that way, unless it gets
close to some itch I have with Dia. Anyway, my post was triggered by
the ugliness in the pseudocode, with all those hard-coded string
comparisons. I just piped in to say that such ugliness should be
inside a nice function that can be updated whenever the implementation
details change. If the function also turns out to be useful for other
purposes, more power to it, then!

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/