Dia - a rotate command?

Hi Dia Developers,

My name is Guido and I work for a short line railroad in Fort Worth, Texas, USA.  I recently found Dia because I was in search of diagramming software for use in my engineering role.  I began using Dia and find it to be extraordinarily user-friendly with a clean interface and clean operation.  I would, however, like to know if Dia has a rotate command.  And if not I would like to know if Dia would consider developing a rotate command.  Specifically I’d like to be able to rotate raster images as well as text elements.  Let me briefly explain why.

My project involves making a schematic representation of our railroad tracks.  The process starts with someone hand-sketching an area of the railroad.  I can scan these into .tif or another graphics file format.  Then I used the Dia image tool to bring them into a Dia sketch.  I can then draw “on top” of the image to match the hand-sketch.  I’d further like to ROTATE the image and add text and ROTATE the text to orient to the drawing elements be they curve or line.

See attached.  This shows a scanned-in hand sketch and the Dia drawing elements I’ve created.  You can see where it would be useful to add text to lines and curves.  It would also have been useful to rotate the image after importing it.

I’d love to hear your input on these interests of mine.  I GREATLY appreciate your efforts on this project and if I implement Dia for this project I will do my best to support the project monetarily or otherwise.

Sincerely,

~ guido

Daniel     "Guido"     Guido

Fort Worth & Western RR