Re: Now look what you made me do

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 11:57 +0530, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe wrote:
On 9/30/07, Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:
So all this talk about delete key make me think more about how edit mode
would happen, and eventually I sat down and did the first essentials.
The current SVN uses edit mode, entering it automatically when an object
with text is created or on Enter or F2, and exiting on deselecting the
object or Escape.  It doesn't fix the menus or anything, but I'm piling
up remaining tasks on
<URL:http://live.gnome.org/Dia/CurrentDevelopment>.

It seems when typing in edit mode, every letter creates a new undo
change object. The undo stack gets filled very fast if you type a lot.

This has always been the case.

Suggestion:
1) Edit mode should create its own local undo stack that is always
initially empty.
2) Exiting the edit mode should destroy the local undo stack and
insert a single change in the global stack.

Sounds like a good idea.  Undoing each character at a time is a bother.
However, I think the change should be of the entire editing of one
object rather than everything edited in edit mode, since you can tab
between objects without leaving edit mode.  It should be possible to
hack the stack when ending edit for an object to collapse all edit into
a simple text change.

-Lars