Re: creating custom shapes for visual storytelling

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 22:08 -0400, dave boyle wrote:
I want to use Dia to write a screenplay. I need to create a sheet of
custom shapes with names like character, location, prop, costume,
interaction, etc. Each shape will need custom dialog boxes that appear
when Properties is clicked. These dialogs will allow the inputting of
the necessary data that goes along with each story element-shape.

I've looked at the dialog box associated with the UML class shape which
makes me think it might be possible, but is it? Can I create my own data
objects and assign them to new shapes? Or is it just the UML class shape
that has the ability to store extra information? With XML as the back
end, what does it care about what I put in or where? As long as I
conform to my DTD ...

I'm an experienced object oriented programmer with no experience in Dia.
I'd like to know if what I want to do is even possible before making an
investment on the learning curve. Thank you for your assistance!

It is decidedly possible, but the UML objects are not the place to
start, they are by far the most complex objects we have.  It is possible
that you can make do with shapes, i.e. XML-defined objects, take a look
at shapes/Circuit/hresistor.shape for how to add your own data --
simple, fixed-count data only, though.  If those are not enough, look to
objects/standard for how to make new objects, and look at
http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/ProgrammedObject. Please ask if
you have more questions.

-Lars