Re: Greek Characters in Dia for Windows

At Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:18:29 +0100 (CET) Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:

Allan Gottlieb said:
At Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:15:32 +0100 Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:

What you want is a font that contains the Greek symbols
as well as the Latin-1 ones, as good Unicode fonts do.  I think Ariel
was made to be as covering as possible.  You'll then also need some way
to insert the right characters, in Linux I can just set the keyboard
layout to be Greek, and it works (as attached image shows).

I run (gentoo) linux and have ariel.  How do I set the keyboard layout
to be greek?

In Gnome, use the Keyboard Preferences program (gnome-keyboard-properties)
and  and another keyboard under Layouts.  You can then under Layout
Options choose which key combos change the layout.  You can also add a
keyboard indicator to the status bar to see which layout is active.  I
don't know how to do the similar task in a KDE-based desktop.

I do run gnome and, following your suggestion, added "Greece" to
Layout (default U.S. English).  I can switch between the two layouts
with "both alt" key.  I put the applet on my panel and can see USA
change to Gre when I click.  But I must be missing the dia part.  If I
start and use the text tool I still get US English characters.

I tried the left alt, no effect, and the right alt, no text at all.
What must I do next?

Thanks again,
allan