dia0.96pre: Crash when moving/clicking vertical switch

I've found a crash that's quite easy to reproduce in dia0.96pre in Windows.

1. Open the diagram

        http://www.md.kth.se/~chr/dia/bug2.dia

2. Select everything by pressing Ctrl-a (this selects 3 objects)
3. Copy the selected objects by pressing ctrl-c
3. Paste the copied objects by pressing Ctrl-v
4. Click on an empty part of the diagram to select nothing
5. Among the objects you just pasted, click on the 'vertical switch'
   that is located inside the square.

        => Crash

And you've lost all changes as well :-(

I've lost data a few times now... How can I make Dia perform auto-saves more frequently?

For the future: Even better than auto-save would be if Dia managed to do an emergency save, like e.g. LyX. I started with LyX at v0.12, used it for 6 years and only lost data twice I think. As an aside, it'd be good if Dia detected a recent crash, looked for auto-saved files and asked the user if they should be opened and used to replace the originals.

cheers
/Christian