Re: UI issue: Text edit mode

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:57:38 +0200, Lars Clausen wrote
I'm strong considering splitting diagram editing into a "normal" mode
and a "text-edit" mode.  It will allow for more powerful text editing
down the road, use of more shortcuts in normal mode, avoidance of the
"Delete destroys the object" in text-edit mode and more.  While I
have no problem with how to exit text-edit mode (Esc or clicking
elsewhere), I have my doubts about what would be best for entering.
My ideas so far are

1) Press "Enter" to start editing text.  Pro: Frees all other keys
for shortcuts.  Con: Non-obvious 2) Press any letter key to start
editing.  Pro: Natural start of writing for many people.  Con: Loses
some shortcuts, can't start writing with non-letters or composite keys.
3) Press any non-modified key to start editing. Pro: Fully
transparent for English-speaking people.  Con: Loses a few more
shortcuts, can't start writing with more complex input. 4) Press any
part of a character to start editing. Pro: Transparent for everyone.
 Con: Loses a lot of shortcuts, including many alt and some ctrl-
shift ones.

I'm favoring 3 over 2, even though it'd rule out using '1' for zoom
100%.  I think 4 would be confusing and hard to code.  But is 1 too
non-intuitive?  Are there better ways?  What do other programs get away
with?

-Lars

I'm not sure what I will say makes sense).
If there is going to be a "big change" may be you can conside this posibility:
1)Allow the old way of editing (very efficient), but just to add characters to
the right, only for the fist time, when the field is emty.
2) Don´t allow modifying the field, in the old way,  any more ...
   (One truing to do it, surelly will do a double clicking...and the
properties dialog will open)
3) Let the text field appear and be edited in the properties dialog (I have
always thought this would be an enhaced feature)