Re: UI issue: Text edit mode
- From: "loli" <loli unsa edu ar>
- To: discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: UI issue: Text edit mode
- Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:06:10 -0300
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:57:38 +0200, Lars Clausen wrote
I'm strong considering splitting diagram editing into a "normal" mode
and a "text-edit" mode. It will allow for more powerful text editing
down the road, use of more shortcuts in normal mode, avoidance of the
"Delete destroys the object" in text-edit mode and more. While I
have no problem with how to exit text-edit mode (Esc or clicking
elsewhere), I have my doubts about what would be best for entering.
My ideas so far are
1) Press "Enter" to start editing text. Pro: Frees all other keys
for shortcuts. Con: Non-obvious 2) Press any letter key to start
editing. Pro: Natural start of writing for many people. Con: Loses
some shortcuts, can't start writing with non-letters or composite keys.
3) Press any non-modified key to start editing. Pro: Fully
transparent for English-speaking people. Con: Loses a few more
shortcuts, can't start writing with more complex input. 4) Press any
part of a character to start editing. Pro: Transparent for everyone.
Con: Loses a lot of shortcuts, including many alt and some ctrl-
I'm favoring 3 over 2, even though it'd rule out using '1' for zoom
100%. I think 4 would be confusing and hard to code. But is 1 too
non-intuitive? Are there better ways? What do other programs get away
I'm not sure what I will say makes sense).
If there is going to be a "big change" may be you can conside this posibility:
1)Allow the old way of editing (very efficient), but just to add characters to
the right, only for the fist time, when the field is emty.
2) Don´t allow modifying the field, in the old way, any more ...
(One truing to do it, surelly will do a double clicking...and the
properties dialog will open)
3) Let the text field appear and be edited in the properties dialog (I have
always thought this would be an enhaced feature)
Dia-list mailing list
Dia-list gnome org
FAQ at http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Faq
Main page at http://live.gnome.org/Dia
loli unsa edu ar
] [Thread Prev