Re: Moving to live.gnome.org - participate!

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 18:07 +0100, Wolfgang Stoeggl wrote:
--- Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> schrieb:

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 08:34 +0100, Lars Clausen
wrote:
I'm getting very tired of the cumbersome way the
current web page is
updated (checking out all of the www.gnome.org
webpages???), so upon
discovery of the live.gnome.org Wiki, I have begun
a transition to have
our homepage entirely there.  I have moved the
front page, the rest of
the pages remain to be moved -- if anyone wants to
give a hand, that
would be appreciated.

I probably should elaborate a bit.  It doesn't take
any other tools than
a browser to transfer the old pages. You'll just
need to create an
account on http://live.gnome.org/UserPreferences,
and then you can login
and start editing pages right in the browser.  The
Wiki formatting used
is simple and described in the page and more
extensively behind links.

I'd prefer if we at first transfer the pages pretty
much as they are,
just updating to use Wiki formatting where possible.
 Beware that while
the GUI mode can be helpful, it sometimes thinks it
can do more than is
actually possible with the Wiki syntax.  The
DiaDocumentation pages
should serve as an example of how to transfer a page
-- we don't need to
keep the exact formatting, but all of the text and
links in a readable
manner should be retained, even if somewhat
outdated.  We can update
them later.

There are links at the bottom of the Wiki pages to
empty pages
corresponding to the pages on the old site
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia).  If you've been
wanting to do
something for Dia, or just on a lark want to help,
feel free to go in
and Wiki!

-Lars

Good idea to start this Wiki.
However, widespread Wiki vandalism should be prevented
somehow.
The sooner the better...

Probably.  So far I have a watch on all Dia pages, so I've been happily
seeing how you, branko and Steffen have added most of the old content.
If anybody feels left out of the Wiki goodness, we're still missing the
Screenshots, Python and Examples sections (all fairly simple sections),
as well as almost all of the FAQ (which is slightly more complex).

For those who delight in the bleeding edge, I have just done a major
overhaul of the text handling code (the one behind the in-diagram
editable texts), doing away with some too-early optimizations,
encapsulating lots, and paving the way for using the new textline object
internally.  All this might have caused bugs, I haven't seen anything
unusual (apart from the cursor actually being placed right:) before I
committed, but banging a bit on tonights anoncvs would be welcome.

-Lars