Win32 Dia install not workable

I would like to look at Dia.  I have Windows XP SP2 computer.

I followed the instructions:

Please install the GTK+ Runtime Environment first:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk%2B-2.8.15-setup.zip?download

Then install Dia for Windows:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dia-installer/dia-setup-0.95.zip?download

but the program in unusable. If I attempt to run the program as it installs, I get a Microsoft crash message. If I attempt to run the program as if it was installed on a Windows 2000 machine, I get a Microsoft crash message. I can run the program if I limit it to compatibility mode "run in 256 colors"... but then the menus are white on white and it seems to want to 'draw shapes' in black on burgundy/

I have a Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator graphics adapter, 82915G\GV\910GL Express Chipset Family.

Can anyone tell me what is missing/what I did incorrectly?

LDGarner