Running Dia with Windows

Hi,
I looked at the threads and I couldn't find anything about my question; please correct/redirect me if I am wrong.

I am trying to install Dia on my laptop with a Windows XP OS. I can figure out how to install GTK+ and Dia on my laptop, but I don't understand what I need to run dia from the command prompt. I don't even know how I can unzip the Dia files I have downloaded. I have a windows command prompt (obviously) and a PuTTY command prompt, but neither of these seem to work (or else I don't know how to use them with Dia). I tried installing Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 to give me the command prompt I need, but this Toolkit is no longer available online (all the links are dead or redirect to Visual C++ IDE 2005). I installed the VC++ IDE but it obviously doesn't give me the command prompt I need. If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
--
Sincerely,

Candace Phelps