Re: Dia 0.94, WinXP, UML, Printing, Object Properties.

Hi there,

I found the printing to be a bit troublesome as well. My current method for printing a diagram is to export the digram as a PNG file and then import to into Microsoft Word using Insert/Picture/From File. You can then use the print functionality from Word (I guess this technique would work equally well with Writer in the OpenOffice suite for those who want a more open source solution!!).

For diagrams that don't fit on 1 page, then I would import the PNG file into Excel, as this handles stuff that spans across pages better.

Regards

--
Reuben Pearse
Principal Technical Consultant

The Blackbird Enterprise wrote:

   Disclaimer:
I am way new to using this kind of software (meaning Open Source), so I may just not know where to look for the information I need. I know some of the problems may have to do with my own U.S (United States) - centric point of view, and though it may seem odd to some, many of us here in the states have trouble when we can't convert from metric (tis' our upbringing, and I won't pretend to be proud of it).

I was drawn to Dia, because I needed a nice diagramming package to add flow chart, and UML diagramming to the documentation I keep. Right now, just to test things out I am using UML to diagram various Javascript classes I have designed and use. I love the ease of doing this in Dia, in fact I have not found a package that I enjoy more. So that is what I like...

   What I really need is more documentation, on:

Printing:
It seems no matter what "page setup" options I try to use, they have not the "expected" changes on the output. Also I am flustered by the lack of a "fit to page" option. I simply want my class diagram to print out all on one page, and even though I set the "page setup" options to "Page Size -Letter" and "fit to - 1 by 1" I get multiple pages of huge print, though the grid pattern on the screen does change, its correlation to printed output alludes me.

Object Properties:
Again, my issues have to do with the effect, or lack there of, on the printed page. My example, when editing the Object Properties of a "class" object, under the class tab, you can change various fonts. When choosing a font, one can select "Other Fonts", a font selection menu appears, from which you can select font family, style, and size (ex: Verdana, Bold,14) Selecting style, does not always have an effect, and though family, and size, seem to have a relative effect on the display, the effect on the printed page is not as expected. Though messing around with the "size" option on the class tab, does change the size of the font, I can not fathom the relationship of those numbers with the expected point size of the printed output.

I apologize if a lot of this is just my flaming ignorance (of which, it just may be), but I am lost, and given all that I love so far about this package, I don't want to give up on it. Hard copy is an important part of my documentation process, so I really need to know the intricacies of it. I am also curious as to why the documentation does not let one "drill down" to specifics, like the menus and sub menus associated with individual object. Is this simply a time issue, or do you expect end users to have better intuition? Is documentation an area, that can be contributed to similar to code contributions?

Thanks for your help, and I hope you have continued luck with developing Dia. I know I see many more personal uses for it besides the ones I mentioned above, I am especially excited about the Circuit and logic diagrams.

Sincerely
Mr. Albert W. Demello, III
New Hampshire, USA