Protocol thanks and a shape question

Hey thanks for the pointer to the 1970 IBM document. I printed it, and will use it should any discussion arise. What I wanted to do is called a junction, and it is quite permissible. The "rules" are surprisingly open-ended. Must be the "peace-and-love" world in which it was written, even if everyone at IBM did have white shirts at that time.

Now my question. I am asking about the shape that looks like a zeppelin, called "state" on the flowchart template. It does not seem to have a connection point on the left side. There is one on the top, one on the bottom, and one on the right. Is it supposed to have one? Is there a reason? Should I not be connecting on the left?

Thanks again-

Jim Clark