Re: Flowchart protocol

On 21 May 2005, at 9:14, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 14:18 -0500, Jim Clark wrote:

Not a dia question, but I cannot see an answer on the web. I am
making a flow chart with a sequence of 4 decision points. If any of
those are a "No" I want to go to the same "re-evaluate" box. Is it
legal to have the arrows coming out of these decision points all
merge into one arrow going to this re-evaluate box?

Otherwise I'd have to have 4 arrows right next to each other all
going to one small box. Just looks ugly to me, and silly as they all
run parallel for most of their existence. But in my world, where
form can trump substance, I want to be sure to follow official
flow-charting rules.

AFAIK, IBM is the place that has the official flow-charting rules, if
any.  We have not based our shapes on any rules as such, so I can't
really point you to any.

Is there such a thing as official flow-charting rules? I thought a
flow-chart was a rather informal diagram.

Wikipedia links to a 5 MB PDF called "Flowcharting Techniques, an IBM
manual from 1969" (http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine/history/software/IBM-
FlowchartingTechniques-GC20-8152-1.pdf).

--
branko collin
collin xs4all nl