Re: Excessive events

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 23:53, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 14:06 -0500, Larry Dennison wrote:
Hello,

I did notice something the other night.  I was working on Dia remotely -
xterm'd at home via a VPN connection to work.  When I fired up Dia, I get a
lot of network traffic on the VPN monitor, even though I'm not doing
anything in Dia.  Response was very sluggish.

I had seen this before when working on another GTK application.  I had been
writing directing to a window, instead of using a backing store.  GTK
seemed to be stuck in this cycle of "you drew to it, now you need to draw
it again".  When I used a backing store, the problem went away.

I have managed to run Dia over remote X across the atlantic.  Not
pleasant, but it worked.  Dia itself only updates at some tenths of
seconds frequency, but we can't do much for GTK.  Why it would be doing
stuff when nothing's going on I don't grok.

Hi,

This is just a SWAG (sophisticated wild-aXX guess). Its an interesting
problem. I wish I had the time to check it out myself. Here's a story
that (IMHO) provides a plausible explanation.

The pattern described seems similar to a MVC (model view controller)
interface. GTK is supporting views (windows) for multiple applications
(models). A change event in one triggers update messages in all/others
to construct a consistent image. The backing store is a display server
cache allowing a bitmap merge with just the delta(s) transmitted from
the application server.

Using the backing store was a great idea. I remember discussions of
protocol changes, 10 or more years ago, because X traffic was sucking up
LAN bandwidth. Its been so long that if you hadn't included that
information I would have been clueless (fer sur :-) ).

david

email:    david netwebconsultants com
phone:    (631) 224-1244