Re: merging layers

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it either, with the emphasis on seeing
it.  I think Dia has a lot of great functionality including Layers that
users perhaps are not making the most of because of how they are
presented.

As Alan is implying, I probably won't code this at the present.  However,
it got me thinking about the layer dialog and how to select the layers to
merge.  Simple:  Allow multiple layers to be selected at a time.  These
would also be the layers that are active, i.e. allows objects to be
modified etc.  Much better than adding a third toggle for each layer.

I was thinking more of merging down to the layer below and flatten image.

I think this would force me to resurrect my attempts to add a Layer menu
and bring more of this functiality to the surface.  A Layer menu would
provide an ideal place to put "Merge Layers" and even more layer
functionality and also make it easier to assign keybindings to the Layer
funcationality without needing to do something crazy like hide away the
features in a context menu of a dialog.

If you mean a layer menu among the main menus, how would you select the
layers to merge, then?  A pop-up window?  I like the actions to be as
close to the objects as possible, here for instance in the layer window.

Menu items to select layers could be done (the gimp does this) but I dont
intend to replace the Layer Dialog but rather to bring forward some of the
functionality and make it easy to give keybindings to some of the actions
(like Ctrl+Shift+N for New Layer).

There are other potential ways of approaching the general problem of
moving things around more easily like maybe enabling drag and drop from
the Diagram Tree, especially if the Diagram Tree represented Layers and
groups as branches of the tree (and I wanted an excuse to mention how
Adobe Photoshop has 'layer groups' which makes the Layers dialog look a
lot more like a tree view of the document).  Plenty of food for thought.

The diagram tree could *definitely* do with an update, showing layers and
groups and subgroups as nodes in the tree.  Any takers?

The Diagram tree has so much functionality hidden in a context menu it was
years before I realised it was even there (found it during an extended
hunt through Dia looking for things to document).  I would write some
documentation on the Diagram Tree but I'd much rather see it overhauled
and redesigned first.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org