Re: merging layers

Alan Horkan sagde:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:12:34 +0100 (CET)
From: Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>
To: discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: merging layers

Robert sagde:
I think I may've went too crazy with layers on my first diagram.

At the time I figured I could always Cut/Paste between layers so
merging
layers would never be a big deal.
Now I find that cutting & pasteing severes connections (and it makes
perect sense that it does).

I'd like to consolidate a few layers together.
Is there an easy way to do this?
Or, is there a mode to let you move & edit all objects from all layers
when making big changes?

Alan's workaround of using an editor should indeed work.  Version 0.94
also allows you to select which layersyou can connect to, but not which
ones you can select in.  It would be easy to add a "merge layers"
function
to the layers dialog, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it either, with the emphasis on seeing
it.  I think Dia has a lot of great functionality including Layers that
users perhaps are not making the most of because of how they are
presented.

As Alan is implying, I probably won't code this at the present.  However,
it got me thinking about the layer dialog and how to select the layers to
merge.  Simple:  Allow multiple layers to be selected at a time.  These
would also be the layers that are active, i.e. allows objects to be
modified etc.  Much better than adding a third toggle for each layer.

I think this would force me to resurrect my attempts to add a Layer menu
and bring more of this functiality to the surface.  A Layer menu would
provide an ideal place to put "Merge Layers" and even more layer
functionality and also make it easier to assign keybindings to the Layer
funcationality without needing to do something crazy like hide away the
features in a context menu of a dialog.

If you mean a layer menu among the main menus, how would you select the
layers to merge, then?  A pop-up window?  I like the actions to be as
close to the objects as possible, here for instance in the layer window.

There are other potential ways of approaching the general problem of
moving things around more easily like maybe enabling drag and drop from
the Diagram Tree, especially if the Diagram Tree represented Layers and
groups as branches of the tree (and I wanted an excuse to mention how
Adobe Photoshop has 'layer groups' which makes the Layers dialog look a
lot more like a tree view of the document).  Plenty of food for thought.

The diagram tree could *definitely* do with an update, showing layers and
groups and subgroups as nodes in the tree.  Any takers?

-Lars