Re: Scaling & dimensions ???

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 22:51 -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
Hello.  I am new to Dia, and it looks very promising.

I know that Dia is NOT designed to be CAD software; but, I do not need
much.  Mostly, I want something small, fast and open source.

Over the next several months, I will visit several hundred buildings,
and I need to create floor plans, including accurate locations of
several dozen points of interest in each.  Mostly, this is simple right
angles, some kind of reasonable scaling, and clearly marked distances
between interesting points.

It just so happens that I did a floorplan in Dia today.   The polygon
and beziergon in particular are useful. I did run into a couple snags:

 - The connectionpoints can get in the way.  If you happen to put a line
close to a CP, it may actually get moved to connect just by moving the
entire floorplan.
 - There is no scaling or rotation.  Thus, you may need to do e.g. eight
different door shapes, even if they're the same shape.
 - Lines do not connect at their ends, which means having 'a line per
wall' is not very easy.  The polygons work ok.

I have googled, read FAQ, and searched your archives.  I have not found
anything to turn me away from Dia; nor have I found out how to do what I
need done.

It can be done, but then it can be done with Gimp or LaTeX if need be.
Not knowing what you need to do, I can't tell if it can be done.  I can
recommend nothing better than to experiment and see if it works for you.

I am extremely interested in the XML functionality, since this type of
diagram is ideal for XML.

We use XML for our internal format

Also, I wonder how easily it is to put Dia diagrams on a web page?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Depends on your needs.  Dia is not intended for this, but that doesn't
mean it can't be used for it.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>