Re: Icons

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:

If that doesn't happen, at least lets "acqure" the nice inkscape and
gimp ones for dia.

Ok, this got me prompted to fix one of the blockers, namely getting the
toolbox' own icons to load from gdk-pixbuf-csource'd data (it turns out
the docs lie, you do need to copy bytes even when using static const
data).  Which means of course that we can move on with getting prettier
icons.  As Alan mentioned, bug #151147 has a nice icon set, however they
are all in 24x24 pixels, whereas most of the old icons are in 22x22.
Personally, I don't mind them slightly larger (and I think 24x24 is more
common anyway), but I know some people have been trying hard to get the
toolbox as narrow as possible, and this works against them.

I'm willing to take that hit.  If it really bothers me/anyone else there
is always the option to come up with a Small Icon theme like the gimp has.

About the narrow toolbox:
In the long term I see Dia inevitably making use of the same kind of Dock
as the GIMP, although that may be delayed until the widget can be reused
cleanly rather than copying a load of code (but maybe that is already
possible).  I see the components in the toolbox becoming dockable
palettes, and I see myself docking the sheets to the Layers dialog on one
side of my screen and keeping the toolbox on the other.

As I have tried to explain before the Toolbox would resize more easily if
the widgets for Foreground/Background colour and Line Style were seperated
and reflowed as needed similar to how items in the GIMP toolbox behave.

I was wondering are you switching the icons only or will there also be the
theming infrastructure needed for Dia to match whatever the gimp sets as
icons for Zoom, Text, Pan (have some vague idea this has something to do
with registering them as being GIMP_STOCK icons but I really dont know how
it works.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org