Re: [Programming DiaObjects] Needing accessors to page properties

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:58 +0100, Jonathan CHABOISSIER wrote:
Hi there

I have to program a DiaObject which should be able to modify the Paper
Size and its Margins (informations from the Page Setup dialog). I saw
in the UML diagram that there is nothing to get the page properties
from a DiaObject. Do not worry Lars, I do not thing it would be a good
idea to add a "link" to the document there so I won't ask you
this :-P. However, it would be pleasant if we, DiaObjects developpers,
could have access to datas of the document where our Objects are going
to be put in. May be a function which would return a pointer to the
Page, or only to its Properties ?

Concerning my work, I designed four objects intended to frame the
diagrams of the users, like in the example (png file) I joined at the
bottom of this mail. There are four sizes : A1, A2, A3 and... A4.

My boss would like the object to change alone the paper size. When the
user put in the document the "Frame A3" object, it should set the
Paper size to A3 and set the Margins to 0 cm. All this in order to
print the diagrams easily.

Is there a way for me to do this now ? Do you plan to give us the
possibility to get / set the page properties ?

I see the point of it, but I doubt that making it as a regular object is
the good thing to do.  What happens if there's already one of these
'page objects'?   What if there are other objects?  Should the objects
stay within it?  What if it is moved?  No time to think it through now,
maybe some kind of template system could be used?

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (lars raeder dk, larsrc gmail com, http://lars.raeder.dk)
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the