Re: Help Dia without touching any source code!

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Lars Clausen wrote:

Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:03:06 -0700
From: Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>
To: discussions about usage and development of dia <dia-list gnome org>
Subject: Help Dia without touching any source code!

[This deserves a little more mention that a BTW in another post]

If you like Dia, and would like to contribute something back, but don't
feel you know enough C or Python to code something, there are many other
ways to help us improve Dia:

First off, making a list like this is certainly a good way to encourage
people.

   * Helping out with the web site.  I have neither time nor skills to
      do anything really good for the web site.  If you do, you could
      help Dia get a much more professional-looking site.

I think the easiest thing might be to try and use the Gnome.org
stylesheets (or a subtle variation of them).

I think putting some of the content, the FAQ specifically, into a Wiki
would be a good idea.  Not sure though if it would be approrpriate to add
it to the Gnome Wiki: http://live.gnome.org

How safe would it be to use the wiki that you set up for Dia?
http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/DiaEditor

Using the gedit page as an example I went ahead and created a space for
Dia under the "Module Maintenance Workspaces" section.
http://live.gnome.org/Dia

   * Helping reproduce/narrow down/confirm fixes of bugs.
      Bugzilla.gnome.org has our bug database.  Many bugs are waiting
      to be confirmed or usefully reproduced, or our fixes tested.

Next weekend I will try and take another look at building from CVS or your
snapshots and see what I can do to reduce the bug count.
http://www.raeder.dk/~larsrc/Dia/snapshots

For what its what Abiword has a nice bug graph and seeing the visual
impact of bug triaging can be helpful motivation.
http://www.abisource.com/buggraphs/

Is there anything we can do to reduce the amount of duplicate bug reports
that RedHat has accidentally inflicted on Dia?

   * Update info on Dia in software databases.  Dia is mentioned in a
      number of places, and many have some sort of program info (e.g.
      sourceforge, gnome.org).  These need updating to spread interest
      in Dia and attract more contributors for an even better program.

I try to maintain this Dia page
http://advogato.org/proj/Dia/
and I have also tried to add to this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dia

My freshmeat username is horkana and I do seem to be able to add myself so
if you want to add me I'll try and help with the Freshmeat page for Dia
http://freshmeat.net/projects/dia/

Might not hurt to make it editable by all registered freshmeat users.
The freshmeat admins will still moderate it in case you're worried.

I tried to make the Inkscape page about Dia
http://www.inkscape.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Dia
point out the strengths of Dia (that are relevant to Inkscape) perhaps
others will add more.

Now that you have mentioned it I will point my journal entry about Dia.
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/diary.html?start=189

It is difficult to find time and get in the habit of writing regularly but
I want to try and write about Dia and mention any interesting things I've
found or discuss recent improvements.

   * Find and report bugs.  When you find a misbehaviour in Dia, you can
      report it at bugzilla.gnome.org.  If you think "surely somebody
      already reported this", check out
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/product-mostfrequent.cgi?product=dia

   * Update the documentation.  This would help many a new user.

Any areas in particular?

I've been meaning to do a little more work on this but I find myself
wanting to overhaul parts of the user interface rather than document it
as is and try to change it later.

   * Make nice examples of what Dia is used for (to go on the web page,
      see the first item).  We're seeing more and more neat usages,
      a collection of them would be nice.

I occassionally take screenshots of Dia
http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/

but I do not have any really nice diagrams to show off, so I suppose I
should encourage users to submit sample diagrams somewhere.  It could be
useful as both a test suite and a gallery of sorts.

I think it might be possible to put the Dia screenshots page in a Wiki to
allow for easier updating.

   * Translate.  We have an excellent group of translators, and Dia is
      currently translated into 49 languages!  But more translators
      are always welcome, in particular non-Indoeuropean languages are
      weakly represented.  We only have one African language so far,
      for instance.

A mail to gnome-love or gnome translatoin might help spark some interest.
In fact it might be a good idea if you were to forward your message to the
gnome-love-list and actively solicit new developers.

All this should go on the web site along with info on how best to
approach it, but see the first item:)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/