broken metapost output?

I exported a diagram from dia 0.92.2 as a metapost tex macro, the mp file
was processed with mpost version 0.641 and the resulting .1 file was ok and
worked in the latex file. I tried the same in dia 9.4 and mpost choked
saying:

C:\Documents and Settings\onionhead\Desktop\currentwork>
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2c 7.3.7x)
**^C
C:\Documents and Settings\onionhead\Desktop\currentwork>
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2c 7.3.7x)
(scud.mpmakempx: Command failed: tex mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.l

scud.mp
scud.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.20   label.top(btex
                     {\usefont{OT1}{cmtt}{b}{n} } etex scale

Transcript written on scud.log.

C:\Documents and Settings\onionhead\Desktop\currentwork>

Here is the full crap:

------------------ START OF CRAP ------------------------

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.3.7x) (format=tex 2004.4.12)  12 OCT
2004 21:55
**mpx2220.tex
(./mpx2220.tex
! Misplaced alignment tab character &.
l.1 &
    latex
I can't figure out why you would want to use a tab mark
here. If you just want an ampersand, the remedy is
simple: Just type `I\&' now. But if some right brace
up above has ended a previous alignment prematurely,
you're probably due for more error messages, and you
might try typing `S' now just to see what is salvageable.

! Undefined control sequence.
l.2 \documentclass
                 {minimal}
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

! Undefined control sequence.
l.3 \begin
         {document}
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \hbox {\hbox {{\usefont
                                  {OT1}{cmtt}{b}{n} }}\vrule width1sp}
\next #1->\setbox \z@ \hbox {#1
                              }\finsm sh
l.6 {\usefont{OT1}{cmtt}{b}{n} }}\vrule width1sp}}
                                                 }
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

[1]
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \hbox {\hbox {{\usefont
                                  {OT1}{cmtt}{b}{n} }}\vrule width1sp}
\next #1->\setbox \z@ \hbox {#1
                              }\finsm sh
l.8 {\usefont{OT1}{cmtt}{b}{n} }}\vrule width1sp}}
                                                 }
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

[1] [1] )
Output written on mpx2220.dvi (3 pages, 396 bytes).

Do I have to do something different in 9.4 to get metapost tex macros to
work. The reason I want to use 9.4 is that I heard it had fixed some bugs
about font size for metapost output. I can probably of course find a version
in between 9.2 and 9.4 that works, maybe, but in any case I thought you'd
want to know that there might be a problem with the metapost output?

cali