Virus Warnings? [Re: Mail Delivery System (DANGER: Potential virus content!)]

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Marco Contenti wrote:

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:35:24 +0100
From: Marco Contenti <m contenti libero it>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Mail Delivery System (DANGER: Potential virus content!)

Steffen please check your computer!

The message you (or someone/something using your e-mail as sender) sent to
the Dia list contained a zipped file "body.cmd", which isn't really a

It is extremely unlikely that Steffen actually sent that message as most
recent viruses spoof the From: header and randomly spam the addresses
in the users addressbook and sometimes in a particularly annoying fashion
manages to get a whole list.

If the list owners would like to ban HTML email and automatically bounce
any mails with the MIME content-type:application/x-ms-download or even
better ban any email sent using Microsoft Outlook* I certainly wouldn't
mind.

Windows cmd script, but turned out to be a small Win32 executable without
version info.
Despite my NAV updated a few days ago didn't find anything, this really
smells like a virus!

Any .exe .com and most .zip files are viruses, no one should be emailing
.exe files.  I usually urge people to send me a link rather than large
attachments.

If in doubt I'll fire off a quick mail and ask for a description.

Anyway, just opening the message won't be harmful if you don't open the
attachment, unzip it and open its contents (I wonder whether under some
unsafe mail client configurations all this can go automatically...).
Of course all this applies to Windows only. Linux users are OK.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

* realistically of course I understand this is impractical because some
people are forced to use Outlook.