Re: military/map shapes?

Bringing this thread back onlist.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Sean Owens wrote:

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:33:35 -0500
From: Sean Owens <owens hydra cimds ri cmu edu>
To: horkana tcd ie
Subject: military/map shapes?

I googled looking for military map shapes, i.e. infantry company, tank
platoon, etc, which I need for a research project I'm working on, and
I came across a discussion last year;

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2002-September/msg00231.html

in which you said something about creating them for DIA shapes.  I
just wanted to ask if you had indeed created them, and also if they
were available outside of DIA?  Any kind of regularly formatted ASCII
file would probably be enough for me to massage into code of some
form, if they exist in that form, or even something less than regular.

I'd much appreciate any help or advice you could give me with this.
(I've seen one of the web pages referred to in that discussion, by
someone else;

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/korea/ebb/sym.htm

but it doesn't seem to include everything I need.)

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/

I never quite got around to converting them to proper Dia shapes but I
here is a link to a Dia file containing the work I did and you can
convert them to Dia shapes yourself if you want.

Military Map shapes in uncompressed Dia XML format:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/military.dia

It may not seem like much but I'm very meticulous when I make shapes and
put a lot of care and attention into it.  Shame I cant quite bring myself
to finish them.

There are two embedded images I have not included but you can get them
from the web page (they are Anti Aircraft Artillery and Airborne
Artillery).

Hope that helps

Sincerely

Alan Horkan