Re: How many use the diagram tree?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

It is not just Visio it is just about every vector graphics program I
have seen.  I guess handles must have seemed simpler to program at some
point.  I guess the problem is the difference between wanting to
simpley move or change the shape, the handles make it clear that you
want to resize rather just select and move.
Certainly being able to join one line to anywhere on another line
or circumferance would be nice

It's true I was talking about the connection points and I'm sorry for the
confusion.

WRT handles per se, however, I note that no window manager uses handles to
facilitate resizing, and I really think resizing a shape on a diagram is
no different from resizing a window on a desktop.  In the WMs I know,
except TWM, when I put my cursor along the boundary, it changes shape to
show I'm about to resize the window.  That's feedback enough, and easier
to use than handles.

To clarify what I meant by "tabbed diagrams".  I've found that even
for very complex diagrams, only a few named subsets were worth
maintaining. Each one is a kind of sub-diagram, really another
perspective on some of the objects.  Suppose each named subset would
appear as a tab in the diagram's window, similar to the way tabs work
in Mozilla.  I suggest this

Mozilla tabs are showing multiple seperate documents, I was trying to
make the minor distinction of a document with multiple sheets/pages
making up a workbook each of which would be displayed in a seperate Tab,
like in Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, OpenOffice Draw etc.

So we have two ideas: (a) "views" of subsets of the diagram, and (b)
"related" (probably linked) diagrams.

I would say a drawing program is different from something that deals with
text or pixels.  The notion of "a subset of objects" doesn't apply to
browsers or spreadsheets or text editors.  I can only tell you that as the
object count approaches 100, it becomes more and more useful/necessary to
partition it, and the boundaries don't normally fall at the page breaks.
Tabs seem to me like a natural way to render named subsets.  Separate
windows managing a single document strikes me a hard to use and to
implement.

The real benifit of Tabs for Mozilla was speed

Perhaps.  I was only trying to illustrate what I meant by tabs.

It might also be possible to achieve what you want by having a object
say a Rectangle that you can click on and when you do so you are zoomed
in and get to see  the parts that make it up.  This is more a case of
better handling hiding details at distant Zoom levels.  I am not sure I
can explain this particularly well.

Well, I think we've bandied this about before.  I hope one day we have an
object that acts as a link to other diagrams, to support "drill-down" for
such things as data flow diagrams.  It could also act as an "edge
connector" to other diagrams managing related domains.

But I think Zoom is an orthogonal notion.  The idea of revealing objects
within objects by zooming in is appealing in a Star Trek kind of way, but
I think it would be unwieldy in practice.  Better to restrict Zoom to
magnification for the user's convenience.

sorry if i sounded dismissive, I am a bit grumpy at the moment, not
getting much of anything done.

FWIW, I didn't think you sounded dismissive.  If I may say so, you're
certainly capable of sounding grumpy, but I find that's mostly a matter of
tone; the text of your comments is usually thoughtful and engaged.

Regards,

--jkl