Re: 0.92-pre1

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

The Dynamic grid works well and is a significant improvement, but it
makes Snap to Grid a bit more confusing.

Any idea for how Snap to Grid could be less confusing with Dynamic Grid?

not entirely sure but i think that every Nth (fourth, fifth?) line is
slightly darker/wider and when I zoom in to the next level of the dynamic
grid the slightly darker line has 'moved' (or disappeared entirely leaving
my line snapped to an invisible point).

i think there is some need for the heavier major lines to match through
the zoom levels.
I doubt I am making this very clear, I'll try and explain later with
screenshots.

If you use the Document Menubar the Input Methods menu is blank (i
mentioned this before but neglected to file a bug report).

I tried switching Input Methods to Amharic but it failed
(dia.exe:4294205835): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'am_et'
failed
The previous time I tried it Dia crashed.
Strange little detail I had not noticed before, the Input Methods menu is
missing its tearoff (also missing in 0.91).

Yeah, that whole thing is broken in menu-bar-mode.  Since it's going to
disappear entirely in the next version, I'm not going to spend days looking
for a reason.

samples/EML-demo.dia should be removed, as the shapes it needs were
removed

True.

okay

I am reminded of lots of other things including:
should the diagram tree just show the current document?

I don't see why it should.

I tend to think of thinks from a Document centric point of view.  If you
were managing a really large document it might be better not to have the
other document in the list.  Maybe (probably) there is some benifity to
having multiple documents in the list I dont understand.  I vaguely recall
this feature is similar to a "Document Explorer" feature in Visio, I
should look at how that works (I think it could be that it only shows the
current document but I really need to check these things)

wouldn't it be nice to be able to set the default number of sides/points
on a Polygon/Polyline/Beziergon/Bezier/ZigZagline?

How would they be laid out by default, then?

with the points at regular intervals, by default a five sided polygon
would give you something that looked like a regular pentagon.

Zigzag line would probably be layed out something like this
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

why doesn't the Polyline have connection points on it, and why not
replace the Standard Line with single "PolyLine"?

There's actually little reason to have a seperate Line when we have
PolyLine, that's true.  A Box is still useful in the precense of a Polygon
because of the extra restrictions.

Okay.  now that I know I should do something about it.

Feel free to slap me if i neglect to file these issues in bugzilla before
this day week.

Off to puzzle over Script-fu (of the GIMP) for a while longer, driving my
self nuts trying to write a little lisp/scheme this weekend.

Later

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/