Re: prerelease 4

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:35:14 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 11:29:36 -0600, Lars Clausen
<lrclause cs uiuc edu> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

configure: error: Need FreeType library version 2.0.9 or higher

But I have 2.1.3, which might not be set up right, yet.  Does
FreeType2 have to be on the client or the server?  I'm using a
remote> > display.

Is there another variable I need to set to tell configure or Dia where
to look for fonts?  Or is the test really bogus and I should skip over
it? FreeType2 2.1.3 installed on both the client and the server, and
fc-list returns fine things on the X server box:

font-config (/etc/fonts/fonts.conf) is what you want to look for.  I'm
not sure what it'd look like for an X client, but if you can just have
it point at some dirs with fonts, you should be ok.  See fontconfig(3),
which has a section with a User configuration file example.

Hi Lars,

What better to do on a rainy Sunday than dig into arcane font stuff, eh?

Your explanation was very helpful.

It turns out the message is misleading: config.log showed that freetype.h
was not found.  It was not found because `freetype-config --cflags` lied.
It's a shell script, and apparently (I haven't confirmed this yet) the
NetBSD freetype2 package is slightly looney.  For sure, `freetype-config
--cflags` was returning a bogus path.  I edited the script to return
something reasonable, but I wonder what I really should fix.  What does
your directory show for something like:

$ pkg_info -L freetype2 |grep -E 'ft2|freetype.h'
/usr/pkg/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h
/usr/pkg/include/ft2build.h

configure wants those two files in the same directory.  Is that your
setup, too?  Mine obviously are not.  And before you ask,  :-) these are
the right files:

$ find /usr/pkg/include/ -name freetype\*.h |xargs grep 'FREETYPE_M.*R'
|grep define
/usr/pkg/include//freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:#define FREETYPE_MAJOR 2
/usr/pkg/include//freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:#define FREETYPE_MINOR 1
/usr/pkg/include//freetype/freetype.h:#define TT_FREETYPE_MAJOR  1
/usr/pkg/include//freetype/freetype.h:#define TT_FREETYPE_MINOR  3

I can patch the NetBSD freetype2 package (I think), but before I do, what
should the target directory structure be?  Do you normally rely on the
defaults?

I realize we've wandered afield here; the problems I'm encountering have
nothing to do with Dia per se.  I guess the only benefit to Dia would be
potentially a more granular freetype2 test.

Thanks for your time and patience.

--jkl