solution to HIG button controversy ?

Lars Clausen wrote:

As an aside, I think the original instant apply comment was about the
preferences and diagram properties (grid etc), not object properties, and
there's no undo stack for those anyway.  But we need to be consistent.

No, I meant things like current line width etc. Which are or aren't put on undo stack ?

Maybe (as the issue is very controversial) I should try to code a generic mechanism for storing settings (settings = "line attributes" etc), history, generic properties dialog etc and this way keep the particular interface (implicit vs explicit, order of buttons, undo button or history combo etc etc) in just one place, and not scattered over the whole program ? Then, we can watch what the rest of the GNOME developer community does, and just choose the right version (or choice of two).

Sounds like the way to go...

Krzysztof