Re: object access to grid width

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Hans Busch wrote:
As far as I have seen objects have no "up" pointer to the diagram.
I'd like to know, whether there is a way for an object to get
to know the grid width and position such that it can align its
connection points accordingly. I'd like to improve UML-lifeline
such that it automatically adjusts the nubmer of its connection
points on resising such that these are located on the grid.

There is an up pointer from objects to layers and one from layers to
diagramdata.
Thanks - it's new in 0.91.

Yep.  I figured it'd be necessary for scripting and for inter-shape
programming.

I am still on 0.90. Configuring and compiling 0.91 on my Suse 7.1
system looks like needing some more weekends due to all these package
dependencies of which half are lacking in the configure scripts.
I am not sure, whether the whole package really needs all this stuff.
Sorry to say that configuring dia 0.90 was a pleasure compared to 0.91.

Yes, it takes a number of new installations to get 0.91 compiled, but
that's just because we're switching over to Gtk2.  0.90 would be as nasty
if you had to install all its dependencies.

What dependencies are lacking from the configure scripts?  I thought we had
all the direct dependencies -- the indirect ones, e.g. that Gtk2 needs
Glib2, we wouldn't want to check for in our configure, but we could mention
them in INSTALL.

If you implement this, what would happen if the grid size was changed?
I would suggest to adjust the connections only on size changes of the
lifeline. Otherwise a grid change would instantly ruin the whole diagram.
Good old ABC flow charter supported snap to line at any position, but I
don't dare to suggest implementing that for dia.

That would make sense.  Could you file us a bug report for this in bugzilla
(bugzilla.gnome.org) so we don't forget?

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor