Re: Dia-list digest, Vol 1 #758 - 5 msgs

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
On 19 Feb 2003 12:29:14 -0800, dialist <pvspam-dialist hacklab net>
wrote:

.gz.dia (as you similarly suggest) would still associate the file with
Dia, which is good, and a human could tell it was gzipped.

But I don't know that a computer would be able to tell this is a gzipped
Dia file, and so if you, say, right-clicked it and chose "View as Text"
it wouldn't know to decompress it first, whereas if you chose say
".gzdia" or something similar, it could be taught such.

Hmm.  I guess it's another case of "where you stand depends on where you
sit".

What we're really talking about, I think, is what two names to use for
these three things:

1.  a zipped dia file
2.  an unzipped dia file
3.  a dia file

Aesthetically, I think ".dia" is really really pretty.  It indicates very
clearly what application created the file (or, anyway, is meant to be
used with it).  It's pronounceable and mnemonic.  It's worth keeping.
Heck, it's worth trademarking.

Yeah, .dia is good.  I don't know if you can trademark a suffix:)

The question is, Is a .dia file -- so named -- zipped or not?  Because
while file(1) can figure that out, many programs dumbly rely on whatever
follows the last '.'.

For my money, a .dia is zipped, and associated with /usr/local/bin/dia.
If I want to expressly state its zippedness or lack thereof, I can name
it .gz.dia or .dia.gz or (unzipped) .dia.xml, etc.

If we do want to have the suffix indicate whether it's zipped or not, it's
a lot more obvious to put a 'z' or 'gz' in somewhere.  The Dia format is
XML, it just happens to have been zipped by default until recently.
.dia.xml is tautological.  I also prefer having my Dia files zipped, but I
frequently find it confusing that I can't tell from the filename if it's
zipped or not.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HÃrdgrim of Numenor